In Memory Of my Loving Wife Bette

In Memory Of my Loving Wife Bette
December 8, 1955 - October 25, 2009

Sunday, October 18, 2009

1st Annual Boston PAL Grand Prix

I had a very enjoyable and different day
Saturday October 17, 2009 at the
First Annual Boston PAL Grand Prix.



This was a charity event to raise money for the Boston PAL. I went down to cheer on some of the drivers I know on one of the teams.






This was an endurance racing "Go Kart" event with each team having six drivers. There were a bunch of rules like a minimum number of driver changes per two hour period ... (http://www.f1outdoors.com/pdf/CompletePALBrochure.pdf)


I brought my camera and took several hundred photos (see some of them at my Webshots page - http://rides.webshots.com/album/575158560OqNciL), and I brought along a stopwatch for my own entertainment. It turn out I was able to put the stopwatch to good use. You would think it would get a little boring watching the karts going around for three plus hours. However I volunteered my timing services to the team my friends were on. For the New England Tractor Trailer Training School (NETTTS) team I kept track of the drivers, how long they were on the track, how fast they got around the track, how long their driver changes took, signaled the drivers when they were due to come in to pit, and times some of the other teams so we had an idea how well we did compared to them. It was a lot of fun.

And our team ended coming is second place.
It would have been fun even if we had come last.
But...
Next year we are going for First Place.
---------------
Brochure for the race:
---------------
The Boston Globe newspaper wrote an article about the race in the Sunday October 18, 2009 Metro section (see link below).

No comments:

Post a Comment