In Memory Of my Loving Wife Bette

In Memory Of my Loving Wife Bette
December 8, 1955 - October 25, 2009

Monday, October 5, 2009

HOBBIES: Slot cars

Did you ever go slot car racing when you were a kid? Not just the in your house HO scale but the bigger 1/24th scale tracks that seemed to pop up all over the place in the 1960's. According to one source I read there were more neighborhood slot car tracks than bowling alleys. Now it is hard to find any. Recently I did find one in Manchester New Hampshire (The Need For Speed - http://www.needforspeedraceway.com/ ). Great bunch of people there. Mostly guys but a few women. You will find many families not just watching their children race but racing along with them. Some of the younger racers are good. I know I get my butt kicked regularly by members of the under 12 set. I also now know of slot car tracks in Mass. and Conn. though I have never been to them.

Here are some shots I took slot car racing on my Webshots page: http://cards.webshots.com/ecard/pickup/149431805FYFGIm
The first few shots and the video are from that is called "Hard Body" car - racing. The cars have heaver 1/24th or 1/25th scale plastic car model bodies. The photo (on the right) is of three bodies I have prepared for the hard body races. They do not look this shinny after a couple of races.

Stop by your local slot car track and give it a try. You might like it.

In the future maybe I'll talk about one of my other hobbies, like photography, HO slot cars, Garden R.R., RV'ing, racing. Just got a new camera and will be gong RV'ing next weekend. Will I have some new photos of the New England fall colors?

Tune in later...

No comments:

Post a Comment