In Memory Of my Loving Wife Bette

In Memory Of my Loving Wife Bette
December 8, 1955 - October 25, 2009

Friday, October 8, 2010

I had the day off today

I had the day off today. Started out getting the pickup truck inspected. Always enjoy visiting Pete and Chuck. I consider them my mechanics and friends. They used to do a fair amount of dragracing, now Pete's been building some or should say restoring some older vehicles. The ones I've had a close look at looked really nice. Right now he's restoring an old Ford pickup truck and some people might call it resto-mod. It has a Chevy engine transmission and a Ford rear end. I got to the garage a little early hoping to talk to the guys a little bit and show Pete some of my Timeslips. He looks at the Timeslips and sees things that I don't. He pointed out how consistent I was on my 60 foot times. I had a bunch of times over just under 2 seconds. In fact they were 1.991, 1.991, 1.992, 1.962 and 2.034. I never noticed that. I've been told that quick and consistent 60 foot times are one of the keys to winning at dragracing. I am not really dragracing. Right now I feel is more of a competition with myself in the car to keep getting faster and more consistent. But it is fun to cross that finish line before the car next to you, even if it is an old beat up Yugo. Some street nights it seems as if there's nothing I can do to go fast and figuratively speaking even the Yugos are passing me. Other days nothing gets by me.

Then after getting the pickup truck inspected I had a doctors appointment. That went well. I always enjoy seeing Dr. March. He has been our family doctor for as long as he's been in Newberryport. He was Bette's and my parents Dr. as well. From there I went and had lunch with Jimmy. We ate at a new Chinese restaurant in either Lee or Epping New Hampshire. The food was very good as well as the company, as always.

After a left lunch I realized I'd forgotten the registration to my pickup truck at Pete's garage. I gave him a call just to make sure it was there and I went to get it. The car fraternity seems to be a fairly small, maybe small is not the right word, pervasive, maybe omni-present group of people. Pete introduced me to a gentleman who was one of the first people to race at New England dragway when it first opened. And then comes in a gentleman that I met through a friend and coworker at the local cruise nights. Everybody knew each other.

My next stop was to see about getting a generator for the house. I was still in the parking lot and someone came up to me start talking about the car. This is also my oil heat company so was arranging to get my yearly service done. After I made the appointment I mentioned the generator and guess who I was told to talk to. You guessed it the guy from the parking lot. When we were in the parking lot we talked about about tires. And I went over to him he gave me a card with his son's name on, his son works at one local tire stores and he called to see if the size tires on my car were something you could get at his shop, without me even asking him. Well I have an appointment Wednesday to have them look at the house for the generator. And so far the generator itself is less expensive than what I was expecting. We'll see what the final price is once all the installation is included but I have a good feeling. When I went home, I actually got home about the same time I would've if I had worked all day.

So that's my day off. No time to clean the house like I had planned or take a nap like I had hoped. The dogs told me it was time to feed them and that leads right up to now. I think the average person's life would probably make a pretty boring book. But it's great fodder for a blog. Hee hee.

I just heard Richard Petty say, “don’t put a question mark where God has put a period” when referring to the death of his grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment