In Memory Of my Loving Wife Bette

In Memory Of my Loving Wife Bette
December 8, 1955 - October 25, 2009

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Five Months since we lost Bette (10-25-2009)

I want to say something positive and life affirming about Bette and her influence on the world. I think part of the reason she was going to school to get her Masters in education was so she could teach "our children" and have a living legacy that would last beyond her time. Little did she truly realize her influence. Those that knew her know what a great person she was. I will not cite examples from our life together at this time - instead I would like to share part of an email I received a couple days ago.

..."NECC's Office of Workforce Development and Community Education, along with New England Tractor Trailer Training School (NETTTS) at NECC have established the Bette A. Brown Memorial Scholarship in memory of Bette's dedication, commitment, and love of NECC. The scholarship will be awarded in the fall semester 2010. Contributions can be made in Bette's name to the NECC Fund, ATTN: Jean Poth."... Here is Jean Poth's contact information:
Jean Poth, Vice President of Institutional Advancement, at 978-556-3624 or jpoth@necc.mass.edu"...

Along with this email is a brief bio and 78 pages of letters, awards, commendations, and thank yous. They range from students and family of students thanking her for her help to organizations such as College of the Armed Forces, Commonwealth of Massachusetts Governor's Highway Safety Bureau, Adult learning Center, Lawrence Public Schools, and many more including the college itself.

I am extremely proud to have known Bette and been her husband for the past 30 years. After reading the email I feel - as said in Wayne's World (and Saturday Night Live) - that "I'm not worthy" in comparison to her accomplishments and influence. I hope Bette's life can be a good example for others in death as she was while alive.

I thank NECC and NETTTS for this special honor the
Bette A. Brown Memorial Scholarship.


No comments:

Post a Comment