In Memory Of my Loving Wife Bette

In Memory Of my Loving Wife Bette
December 8, 1955 - October 25, 2009

Sunday, August 25, 2013

It is again the 25th of the month.  There were all sorts of things I was planning on writing about but they all pale in comparison to what I experienced this morning.

Pease Greeters:

There is a group of people that meet and welcome every plane of our Troops that lands at the Pease airport in Portsmouth New Hampshire.  http://www.peasegreeters.org/
Since 2005 they have greeted more than 600 flights and 170,000 troops.

This morning I, and some friends participated in one of these greetings. I made a short video http://youtu.be/AoxObeYG62o that you can watch part of what goes on. To say the least it is emotional! I would recommend that if you ever get a chance - DO IT! This may have been my first time but I know this will not be my last time.

Some of what is done  as well as greeting the Troops they are offered phones to use, food, people that are happy to talk to them and welcome them home, and time off the plane after a long flight.  From what I have heard the troops do not know about the Greeters before they land.

There were several people from work there which was good to see.  My friend Kit was chosen for the ceremony of presenting a shirt (see the video). By the way this was the 100th flight they have greeted this year. They are there no matter what time of day the plane arrives.

I think Bette would be very happy I did this.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment